Magic File Renamer Help
Index > Introduction
> System Requirements and Installation
Minimum System Requirements:
- IBM Compatible PC.
- Microsoft Windows 2000 or later version (x86 and x64 editions are supported).
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.
.NET framework allows you to run applications built using the .NET Framework, like
You must install the .NET framework prior to installing MFR.
You can download the installation package directly
- Download the MFR setup program from
- It is recommended to uninstall any MFR 6.x installation prior to installing
- Run the setup program.
Note that the .NET Framework 4 must be installed on your system before installing
MFR. See "Minimum System Requirements" section above for more details.
- MFR default installation path is C:\Program Files\FineBytes\MFR7.
Do not install MFR in the same folder of an existing installation of MFR
5.x or earlier. (Usually C:\Program Files\MFR). See the
section below, Version Compatibility.
- After installing, all MFR program files will be installed in the selected folder,
Start menu group called FineBytes\Magic File Renamer 7
will be created, and a shortcut to the MFR program file will be created on Desktop.
You can use the desktop shortcut or the start menu group to launch MFR.
- MFR supports XCOPY deployment of the installation folder with the following exceptions
in the target system:
- Registration details will be lost.
- Shortcuts should be configured manually.
Version Compatibility, Upgrading from Previous Version:
- You can uninstall MFR by selecting Add or Remove Programs
from within Control Panel.
Windows Context Menu Support:
- MFR 7 is compatible to previous 6.x versions of MFR.
- Presets, logs and configuration from previous 6.x versions of MFR are supported.
- By default, MFR installatinon will not overwrite the previous 6.x version of MFR.
- Multiple versions of MFR (5.x, 6.x, 7.x) can be installed side-by-side safely in
one system. In all the shortcuts of MFR, version number is mentioned, to avoid confusion.
The presets and configuration for MFR 6 and 7 are shared.
- You can safely remove a previous version of MFR after installing MFR.
- MFR can integrate itself in Windows Explorer (shell) right-click menu, as a menu
- Whenever you right-click on a file or folder from Windows Explorer or similar application,
Rename ... with MFR 7 option will appear in the context
Clicking this menu entry will launch a fresh instance of MFR and add the currently
selected file(s) or folder(s) to the Rename List.
Web Site & Updates
Technical Support, Feedback & Contact Information